Alte Nationalgalerie: Johann Gottfried Schadow. Berührende Formen
The life-size double statue of Princesses Luise and Friederike of Prussia, the so-called Princess Group, is the major work of Johann Gottfried Schadow (1764-1850). The sculptor is regarded as the founder of the Berlin school of female sculpture and it is precisely with this work that he became the epitome of German classicism. As the first statue of female historical figures, the sculpture group made art history and is still a highlight for visitors to Berlin from all over the world. The first retrospective in around 30 years presents Schadow’s main sculptural, graphic and art-theoretical works in eleven chapters. After extensive restoration, the original plaster model (1795) of the princess group will be exhibited for the first time ever together with the original in marble (1797).
Caption title: Johann Gottfried Schadow, Self-portrait, c. 1791, terracotta, 41 x 22 x 23 cm, © Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, Alte Nationalgalerie / Andres Kilger